Thursday, June 23, 2011

Canadian Postal Strike

Ok, so usually I'm not very opinionated when it comes to politics, but I'm going to get this one point out.

Unions. Unfortunately now I work for a union, though I am NOT union minded.

Canada Post workers are on strike right now, and were locked out after rotating strikes. And the NDP is backing them up (of course, because NDP is pro-union), but honestly, wouldn't it be better for them to go back to work, rather than be locked out? Isn't a contract, even an unfavourable one, better than no paycheck because you're locked out?

So, honestly, I don't care too much about Canada Post, except when I'm waiting for important stuff in the mail. But when unions go on strike, it really pisses me off. Who else, other than a union member, can say no to a contract, go on strike, and still have a job afterwards? If I were working anywhere else, and I decided my conditions were crappy and decided to walk out, I wouldn't have a job anymore.

This isn't like during the industrial revolution where unions started. The are laws in place to protect workers from hazards, from too low of pay, and all of that stuff. I think unions are a way of the past. I know that they're never going to go away, but man oh man, would it be nice. What does that teach the young generation of the world? Get mad about something and quit. Basically that's what a strike is to me. A sign of quitting. Plain and simple.

Now that that's off my chest, I can go and get ready for work! Have a good day all!

**I realize a lot of people out there are pro-union, and I don't mean to be telling you how to think. This is totally just my opinion, and maybe I'm just cranky because I want my mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment