Friday, August 26, 2011

HST Referendum Results

So, today we found out the results of the HST referendum in BC. Last July, HST was introduced into BC HORRIBLY. The Campbell government basically gave no notice of it, and didn't properly explain what HST was, and what impacts it would have on the consumer, and the benefits.

Former Premier Bill Vander Zalm began the referendum debate, travelling all over BC with a petition to send to the government to stop the HST. Personally, I didn't think it would make it, but with backing of a former Premier, it went right up and was taken seriously.

Then came the referendum. By mail in ballot, the people of BC were asked whether they wanted to keep the HST, currently at 12% with a reduction to 10% within 2 years, or to scrap it, and go back to 5% GST and 7% PST, with no reduction in sight.

Today it was announced that with a 55% vote, BCers voted to scrap the HST.

I'm definitely disheartened by this. Honestly, I didn't notice that huge of a change when the HST came in. Maybe it was because John and I make enough money that a few extra hundred dollars a year didn't matter much to us. What I'm really upset about it that now that BC is going back to GST/PST, we have to pay back $1.6 billion to the federal government. It was given to us when we introduced the tax, and since we're scrapping it, we have to pay it back. All in all, we have about $3 billion going onto our deficit because of this.

If you're interested, you can read more here.

Personally, I think the people of BC made a huge mistake. Though, most likely, this will lead us to another election in the fall, so we can get rid of Christie Clark, and change up the government a bit.

I know I don't usually talk politics, but I'm giving up on my silence. I'm mad. I want some change.

No comments:

Post a Comment