Sunday, July 24, 2011

Trailer Travels – Day 5 – Banff (July 13)

What a way to wake up. Very bright flashes of lightning followed quickly (read: instantly) by thunder. So loud! And at 6 am. Not so pleasant. But, it was a good way to get the day started – with a bang!

It was Banff day! I was so excited. I love Banff. Mountains and tourist-y things = Love! But, with how the weather started off, I wasn’t too optimistic about the day. We had planned on seeing the Whyte Museum, wandering the town, and going to the hot springs.

Here’s what actually happened:

We went to the Whyte Museum. I remember it being much larger. It was so small! I couldn’t believe it! Not what I expected. It was a huge letdown. We paid like $8 each to get in, and we were there 15 minutes – max. Not cool.

Then it was off to wander the town! We got to check out a farmer’s market and every single souvenir shop in town. I just love that town. We decided to try to find Tunnel Mountain, which I guess is just a campground, and instead found some hoodoos. They were cool, but nothing in comparison to Fairmont’s. While we were there, we chatted with an older gentleman about a place called Two Jack Lake. I’d never heard of it, but it was really easy to get to, so we decided to check it our and eat our lunch there. It was actually a pretty great find. Lots of little gophers running around everywhere, and a nice lake too! I think it would be a nice place to go camping.

Two Jack Lake

And then my panic attack started. The Banff Gondola. So freaking scary! Worst 8 minutes of my life! I have to admit, the view from the top (once you hiked up there) was amazing. I just had a bit of a panic attack on the way down. John enjoyed himself, and seems to think that we still have one more to go – at Hell’s Gate. I’m not so sure, but we shall see.

One view from the top

Then it was off to the hot springs! The weather continued to be really nice so it was good. My back sure appreciated the heat of the hot springs. It wasn’t as nice of hot springs as I had thought it might be, but it was still ok. I like Radium Hot Springs much better. Maybe I’m biased because it’s a mere 45 minutes from Golden! Either way, sitting in the sun in a hot pool was good.

Have you ever heard of the Indian Trading Post in Banff? There is only one reason to go – the merman! You have to go. It’s worth it to see it!

The Mer-Man!

After the merman, it was off to the campsite to chill out and get ready for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment