Sunday, July 24, 2011

Trailer Travels – Day 6 – Drumheller (July 14)

Up early and off once again! One night in Drumheller, home of the Tyrell Museum. As a kid, I never went to Drumheller – dinosaurs weren’t my thing. But as an adult, I was so excited to go and see everything.

John and a T-Rex

Me and my fave - triceratops

First of all, driving into Drumheller is amazing. The road to get there? Not so amazing. But once you really start getting into the Badlands, it’s awesome. So different from what I grew up in, and what I live in now. I don’t know that a lot of people would think that it’s beautiful, but I find it rather enchanting. You can almost see history coming to life. Which leads me to the Tyrell Museum.

The front entrance to the Tyrell Museum

I was so excited to be there. In my adult life, dinosaurs have been something I’ve become interested in. I do not think that the excavation that goes on to find the bones is right, if you think about it. It’s like mining for coal. People get pissed about mountains being cut away for coal, but does anyone think about how we’re cutting down hills in the Badlands to find fossils? Doubt it. Maybe there is some issue in the area, but I’ve never heard about it. I get that it’s great to be able to know the past, but I’m not 100% sure what it tells us about our future.

But, I did enjoy myself inside the museum. I hated it in some ways – like how stuffy and crowded it was, and how slow some people moved. But I loved that I got to slow down and take it all in. I think had it not been so crowded, I would have rushed through the museum, much like the Whyte Museum, and I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much. I got a chance to see some great dinos, triceratops being my favourite, and a Darwin wing. So very cool.

Not the best photo, but I was so excited to be in the Darwin area. I could feel his energy in the room!

It was so hot in Drumheller, I wasn’t sure what to do with myself. I was very thankful for the air conditioner in the trailer. We definitely used it. We also went for a bit of a drive after dinner and found a cool suspension bridge, more hoodoos, and a coal mine that you could go on tours into, but we were too late. It looked cool.

Best thing about Drumheller – the world’s largest dinosaur!

Big Dino!

No comments:

Post a Comment