Friday, October 14, 2011

Knit-A-Square

I don't know if I've blogged about this before, but this year I am devoting some of my crochet and knitting time to a charity - Knit-A-Square. Each year, going from September to June (I don't crochet or knit much in the summer, so these months seem to work best) I'm going to choose a different charity, and make things for them!

The great thing about KAS is that I can use up lots of my scrap wool! I've been making 8 inch squares, sweaters and toques - all out of scraps! I haven't had to buy any wool yet, though I'm close. I'm using Red Heart Super Saver because it's very easy to work with, and it's very warm, which is the whole point. Here is a photo (not a great one) of the sweater that I knitted - first non-dishcloth kitting project!


I realize that not everyone out there has the time to devote to something like this, but I'd like to put a call out to all of those who might. I'm looking for crocheted or knitted 8 inch squares, toques or sweaters. They also accept things like teddy bears, so if you know how to make those, I would gladly send them along too. I can't make them, so I plan on trying to find some at a decent price, and send them along.

You can also go onto their website and donate via PayPal. I would also take donations in the form of wool!!!

Please contact me if you want to learn more, or if you want to help. I think this is a great cause, and something so simple to do. By June, I hope to have made enough squares for 2 blankets (70 squares total), and half a dozen toques and sweaters, and I hope to have more donations sent in from others!

Think about it. It's a fantastic cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment